Since taking AP Government, I knew the basics behind the Supreme court. I knew that it decides whether that laws are constitutional or not with checks and balances. Now, I understand a lot more why the court has its power. The government was very concerned about overpowering the government because of what happened in Great Brittain. Technically all the branches should have an equal power but now this shows me that the court system has slightly more. Initially this was not the case like when John Marshal became Chief Justice. Marbury v. Madison helped change that by establishing judicial review which gave the court the ability to decide whether actions by the government are consitutional. I connected this to the Alien and Sedition Act which the government made it a crime to critisize it. This was a major breach of the first amendment and if we wouldn't have the Court to keep the legislative and executive branch in check, things could easily become overpowered.
I was also surprised with how selective the Supreme Court is about their cases. They only take around 100 a year even though they get thousands. Before watching the videos I did not hear of the word certiorari. It makes more sense looking at cases that they choose not to take and realizing they aren't just agreeing.
The most surprising part to me was what actually happens when the Court chooses to take a case. Being in debate in high school, I pictured the arguements as one big debate where everyone is simply stating their case. It is actually more of a conversation than a debate. Lots of things happen within a vote and it is not just black and white, right or wrong.
The biggest takeaway I had is that the Supreme Court's power depends on more than just what is written in the Constitution. It also depends on people respecting the decision made. The entire system was created around limiting government but still protecting individuals. The Supreme Court is my favorite branch simply because they allow us to have balance.
Overall, these videos changed my view on the Supreme Court. People see it as the justices and an answer but there is a lot more to it. Now I understand that there are major processes behind each decision and the court has gained this respect and power throughout the history of America. It is a difficult job to interpret a constitution made so long ago to events currently happening which is why the Supreme Court is respected and also controversial.
No comments:
Post a Comment