Thursday, September 3, 2026

Eight Values of Free Expression

  

All eight values are vital in interpreting freedom of speech.

    All eight values are important when it comes to understanding freedom of speech, but some stand out to me more than others.

    Freedom of speech is often described in its simplest form as the ability to speak without government interference. After learning about the Eight Values of Free Expression, though, I realized that freedom of speech goes much further than simply having the right to talk. I see it as something that shapes our identities, allows us to challenge people in power, and teaches us how to live in a society where not everyone agrees. 

    The three values that stand out to me the most today are Self Fulfillment, Protect Dissent, and Promote Tolerance, especially because so much of the way my generation communicates happens online.

C. Edwin Baker outlines Self-Fulfillment. 
    Individual Self Fulfillment, based on the ideas of C. Edwin Baker, argues that free speech allows people to express themselves and develop their own identities.
    I think this is especially relevant to my generation because so much of our self expression happens through social media. We use it to share our interests, beliefs, experiences, humor, creativity, and opinions. I also think one of the most valuable parts of social media is that it allows people to find communities where they feel understood, especially when they might feel isolated in their everyday lives.

    In the past, people usually needed a large platform or some kind of influence to share their ideas with a wide audience. Now, almost anyone with a phone can put their thoughts out into the world. I think that accessibility can be extremely powerful because ordinary people have the opportunity to shape conversations, challenge norms, and find a sense of belonging. 

    At the same time, putting so much of ourselves online means that our identities and opinions are constantly exposed to other people's reactions, and I think that creates an entirely different challenge.

    Even with all of the opportunities social media gives us to express ourselves, I also think it can make people afraid to speak. The pressure to fit in or say the "right" thing can cause people to hold back their actual opinions. This connects directly to Protect Dissent, which Steve Shiffrin describes as the First Amendment's protection of minority and unpopular viewpoints. To me, this value is important because our system is not supposed to operate through "mob rule." 

    It is easy for me to say I support free speech when I agree with what someone is saying. I think the real test is whether I still support their right to say it when their opinion makes me uncomfortable.

Free expression can have good and bad effects.
Social media has almost created a new kind of "mob" because thousands of people can react to one person's post within minutes without ever physically gathering together. Sometimes that response is completely fair criticism, which is also protected speech. 
    Other times, though, it seems like the goal becomes less about challenging someone's argument and more about making that person afraid to ever speak again.

    This is where I think Promote Tolerance, based on Lee Bollinger's theory, becomes especially important. I understand this value as the idea that allowing speech, even speech that I personally find offensive, can help teach society how to tolerate disagreement. 

    When harmful or offensive ideas are allowed to exist openly, I also have the opportunity to challenge those ideas, explain why I disagree, and reinforce what I believe should or should not be socially acceptable.

    To me, tolerance does not mean agreement, and disagreement does not automatically mean censorship. Free expression means someone can voice an idea that I completely disagree with, but it also gives me the freedom to respond with my own ideas.

    I think social media is both one of the greatest tools and one of the greatest challenges we have when it comes to free expression. It gives more people than ever the ability to find and use their voice, but it also exposes those voices to immediate judgment from massive audiences.

    Learning about the Eight Values of Free Expression helped me understand that the First Amendment is not just about protecting speech that is comfortable, popular, or easy to agree with. I now see it as creating a society where I can develop my own identity, challenge the majority, hear ideas I dislike, and respond to those ideas rather than simply trying to silence them.

    For me, that is one of the biggest challenges of free expression today. We have more opportunities to speak than ever before, but that does not necessarily mean we have become any better at listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Progressive Era

  A protest from the progressive era with people of all ages protesting the war. When I think about freedom of speech, I usually think about...